Tuesday 19 August 2014

Happiness Depends on Perception

Our happiness depends on our perception of the world.
Even on bleak days

there are certain facts that I stand on
I am alive,
healthy
not living on the street
but in a large old, quirky house
with acres of gardens, trees and meadows.
I am still married after almost 35 years
with 9 healthy, successful adult kids and 5 grandkids
loved by my family and God,
even if I drive them crazy with my eccentricity
I have a computer,
two hands with all my fingers to type
and time to write for the first time in three decades.
reasons to rejoice
reasons that I stand on every day’
even on bad days
How you answer the old question, “Is the glass half full or half empty” really does matter. It is amazing how I can turn my misery switch on and off and my joy button on and off. It really does matter how I view the world. It is a matter of taking a step back and looking at the big picture.
Do I choose to squint and focus on the thorns or do I step back and see the beauty of the entire bush. Do I focus on every miserable detail that goes wrong in my life or do I step back and thank God for everything that is right with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment