Thursday 30 August 2012

Socks



 The only thing that will kill you as a mother of  a large family is pairing socks.
There are solutions.
I remember a crazy campfire song, that is usually sung in rounds.

 "Black socks, they never get dirty;
the longer you wear them, the blacker they get.
Some times, I think I should wash them
but something keeps telling me
oh,  not yet, not yet, not yet"

I did not seriously consider this option, though. After ONE day stuck inside an active child's running shoe, socks NEED to be washed.Oh well, sometimes I did four loads a day and socks really didn't take up that much room.

Still socks disappeared into mountains of laundry and I could never find them all.
Socks need to be PAIRED!!!
Or do they?
That was the brilliant, out of the box sort of question I asked myself one day.

New solution
Buy LOTS of black socks in every size,throw them in a basket
and hope for the best
.
That was the plan.

I decided to simply toss them into a wicker basket with a three-foot circumference and a height of two and a half feet..
I must ad
BUT little girls don't like black socks. They like pink socks. To make matters worse my mother bought cute socks with frills and bows and patterns that the girls really needed and loved.
 NONE of them were the same!

So although I used the toss and throw method of pairing, some mornings found us frantically searching for some semblance of a pair but it made life exciting.

13 comments:

  1. Hilarious yet insightful about the obvious difficulty. Nevertheless an interesting post indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should quote you as well, "Hilarious yet insightful".
      That describes mmy stories perfectly.

      Delete
  2. Giant plastic bucket. One day before church, my sister (she was staying with us at the time) could not handle our giant bucket method. So she dumped the entire thing into the trash, and went to buy each of us SOCKS. Guess how long it was before we filled it again? Because between the washing machine monster who ate them all the time, and five kids under the age of ten... it was NOT going to happen in a way where they were color coded, alphabetized and neatly folded in drawers. We home schooled, and sockology was not on the roster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true and so funny!!! Love how you have things arranged on this site and so enjoy reading about your family - as I always do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have bee tinkering with this site- so thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. most of the time, I prefer black socks.. because the dirt is not so obvious hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a brilliant solution to your sock nightmare. Ban them. Have no socks in the house for any reason especially if you live in a warm climate. If not, have everyone wear tights in the winter, at least you know where you find one leg there will always be another, ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. too bad-we live in Canada. I can't quite see my husband and boys wearing tights
      grin

      Delete
  7. Ugh! I hear you! I have two wooden baskets on top of the dryer -- one with clean white socks, the other dirty. The socks are all the same, save they are two different sizes -- I only have three kids and, luckily, two wear the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Socks defy and rebel against most systems or oganization

    ReplyDelete