Friday 24 August 2012

The House That Kids Built


Picture This scene.

Five year old Anthony is leaping off the fourth stair wearing his black cape, a purple Batman sweatshirt and his 'Mountie' hat. Three year old Lucy carries a huge, old purse stuffed with cut pieces of paper and fake money and she is trailing behind seven year old Katie who is trying to make a scrapbook.

Rachel is in the same living room playing "Magic School Bus" on the computer and Emily is upstairs changing her clothes again. Dave and Matt are building a lego plane across the hall in the family room but eighteen year old Matt is the brains behind the construction.

Mara is on the phone and Melissa is listening to music that is way too loud while leaning over the upstairs railing and complaining about life.
Michael is tending the animals.

 And me?

Why I am putting in the fourth load of laundry that day and planning a folding marathon where I sort laundry and literally toss each kid their own clothes to fold
Guess what?
 I learned to be happy in the chaos. I don't have a living room , I have work and play areas. A table in the living room is covered in a 1,000 piece puzzle that people stop to work on on for a few minutes and the coffee table is Katie's craft station.

 There are goldfish on my too small counter, a huge dog who trips anyone walking through the main door and a cat who thinks she owns the most comfortable chair in the house. I warn you, do not try to move the queen! Sometimes a caged hamster or guinea pig squeaks for attention EVERY time the fridge door opens!





My kitchen walls, fridge and cupboards are covered with all kinds of art and scribble art and I have too many indoor plants.
One day my father-in-law tripped over our dog (who did not move, by the way) and he gruffly asked me,

"What is that dog doing in the house? He should live outside."
I laughed and said,

"Welcome to OUR home. We love kids, animals, plants and even y. Just come on in!"


6 comments:

  1. Quite a busy day huh? love the photos.. and also the artwork! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the peek into life growing up in your home! Which, by the way is lovely! I have a dream of a big ol' farm house in the country somewhere. There is one we pass on trips up to Tennesee sometimes that I am obsessed with. It was for sale by owner a few years ago and I kept trying to get the man of the house to stop and see what the asking price was. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you. Ther is a special house meant just for you somewhere!

    I love my old house. For the last two years I have been ripping up old rug, scraping off backing and GLUE, removing 8 layers of paint and lacquer and sanding thick pine floor boards with a belt sander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a house of love and joy you have!!! Glad you let me visit.

    ReplyDelete