Tuesday 28 February 2012

"Sweetheart, WHO Did You Say Lives In Your Toe?"

I was preparing dinner one afternoon, when five year old David came running up to me with a serious look on his face. He was always full of good natured energy and mischief but he also had delightful spirituality that was not taught but inborn. Once again, David had another theological question for me,
"Mum, does Mary live in my heart?"
I did some fast thinking. Heaven is within us and Mary is in heaven, I thought. So I answered,
"Yes sweetie, Mary is in your heart."
David sighed and concluded the discussion,
"I guess that means that God is in my feet."
I laughed silently to myself and thought that that was a very theologically correct concept since God is our foundation. I had no idea what went on in David's head after that answer  but I  soon found out.
 It was about a week later, when all the kids who were old enough (and one who wasn't really old enough), were playing hide and go seek.
When David's toe was pinched by a closet door he ran up to me again, this time he was sobbing. Although I tried to calm him down, while he sat on my knee, he wouldn't stop crying.
Finally I said, "David, you are going to be fine. There is no blood; you might get a little bruise but that is it."
"I know", he cried," but Jesus is in there!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment