Wednesday 22 February 2012

save $8,000.00 a year per child!

I set up activities or supply art supplies everyday for my kids, but sometimes I encouraged even the smallest of my children to help me. Rachel at 18 months loved to use the hose on the vacuum to suck up every little speck of dirt off the carpet and floor. It used more electricity than I would have but it kept her busy for half an hour and she basked in the praise I gave her of a job well done. I always let a couple of toddlers wash the plastic cups and plates while I tidied up the kitchen after breakfast. After they were finished their "job" I peeled off their drenched p.j.s and gave them a morning bath and washed the wet kitchen floor. This is a very practical bath time for little people who still wear nigh time diapers.

Some days my husband would walk into the kitchen, close his eyes and silently turn around and walk out again; his family were all baking and everything and everybody was covered in flour. Someone would measure, another hold the beaters or roll out the dough. Little people love to decorate cookies or make their own pizzas or small loaves of bread. When Matthew was in grade 7 he was proud to learn how to cook; he gathered all his brothers and sisters together and taught them how to make their own pretzels. (This was in 90's when everyone took 6 weeks each of cooking, sewing and shop in grade 7 and 8.)

As my children matured, they developed their own talents and preferences regarding their contributions to their family. Because our house was always so busy, I depended on all the kids and they recognized that their contributions were important. This was great for their sense of self-worth. Melissa could dive into a messy bedroom with a younger sibling and organize their room (she uses this talent in a very well paying job today). Mara made pastry flakier than me at 11 (she is a red seal chef). Rachel always loved to mind the babies (she is an early childhood educator). Emily, from the time she was two, wanted to put outfits together and she helped the little ones get dressed and sorted through their wardrobe. Today she puts her mother together! Katie is very artistic and patient, she did crafts with Anthony and Lucy. The boys are very handy today because they helped Michael fix cars, renovate and repair anything and everything.

 Marie Montessori used practical life, using real tools, brooms and china to encourage mental, physical, emotional and spiritual life in children. It can cost up to $8,000.00 a year to place your child in a well run Montessori school. Try it at home for free; it is fun.

2 comments:

  1. So Right On! but a real Montessori school has nothin on real mom's running real homes. Maria said so herself - before she died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had just learned that fact-very satisfying,isn't? I have just started to write and any commeny means a lot me.-thank-you,melanie

      Delete