Saturday 25 February 2012

A Four Year Old's theology

It was early evening. We often played musical beds at bedtime because the kids liked the security of a sibling or two falling asleep in the same room, especially when older brothers and sisters were still up and having fun. I was nursing Katie, four year old Emily played with my hair and sucked her thumb and David whad almost fallen asleep across the room.
 David suddenly sat straight up in bed, popped his eyes open and stated, "Someone just called my name. I think it was God!"
Emily asked, "Who is God?"
I answered, "You know, God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit."
 Emily asked me, "You mean the priest at church?"
"No", I respond, "The God that fills the whole universe."
Emily took her thumb out of her mouth and said very dismissively, "Oh, HIMMMM. I know HIMMMMM."
Then she closed her eyes and stuck her thumb back in her mouth. Discussion closed.
David spoke up, "Well, He called my name!"
Emily opened her eyes and stated very authoritatively and in a nasal, little girl voice, "It was just your imagination, Dave." 

Then she closed her eyes and started sucking her thumb again.
David was upset. I countered her statement, "It could be GoAd, Emily. The Holy Spirit lives in our hearts and does communicate with us."
David was satisfied and he lay back down to sleep but Emily, with her eyes still closed whispered to me, "It was just his imagination!"

1 comment:

  1. Mel,

    I just read all your blog postings, what a great idea! You write beautifully, from the heart, spiritual, thoughtful and thought provoking.

    Keep up the good work ;-)

    All My Love, (Pass it on to Mike and all the kids)

    Matt Mitro

    ReplyDelete